Upgrade
Phil Bailey
2016-01-11 19:33:25 UTC
Hi Everyone

Very new to both Ubuntu and Graylog, was wondering if somebody could help
me, i have followed this guide
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-graylog2-and-centralize-logs-on-ubuntu-14-04> for
installing and setting up Graylog, but just noticed its a very old version.

after getting everything up and running, i tried to just install the latest
version but had all sorts of problems with both the web and server not
connecting.

Assuming i had done something wrong i have started again, but i dont want
to make the same mistake.

I would be very grateful if somebody could give me a idiots guide to
upgrading Graylog2 V0.20.2 to the latest install.

Thanks guys.

Phil
kaiser
2016-01-12 07:46:19 UTC
Hi,

Did you try this?

http://docs.graylog.org/en/1.3/pages/installation/operating_system_packages.html
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalocean.com%2Fcommunity%2Ftutorials%2Fhow-to-install-graylog2-and-centralize-logs-on-ubuntu-14-04&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH3BQfvSNgjY60ITRifQW5TAZAoHQ> for
Phil Bailey
2016-01-12 10:01:59 UTC
Hi Kaiser

Thanks for the info, i have run the commands and restarted the server but
it doesnt seem to have made a difference

Im still on the old version, am i missing something?

Thanks
Phil Bailey
2016-01-12 10:52:51 UTC
Just to add i have run this, and im still getting an old version, could
somebody just let me know the best way to update please

wget https://packages.graylog2.org/releases/graylog2-omnibus/ubuntu/graylog_latest.deb
sudo graylog-ctl stop
sudo dpkg -G -i graylog_latest.deb
sudo graylog-ctl reconfigure
Jochen Schalanda
2016-01-12 11:18:16 UTC
Hi Phil,

unfortunately Graylog2 0.20.x is a very ancient version and there's no
tried and tested migration path to Graylog 1.3.x. In the end you'd have to
upgrade to Elasticsearch 1.7.x (which involves converting the underlying
Lucene indices), running some modifications on the MongoDB database used by
Graylog, and finally verifying that everything still works as expected.

Ultimately, I think setting up a complete new Graylog environment (see
http://docs.graylog.org/en/1.3/pages/installation.html) is much less hassle
than trying to upgrade the existing ancient environment.

If you want to give it a try, make sure to read the Graylog change log
entries at http://docs.graylog.org/en/1.3/pages/changelog.html and the
linked blog posts which include upgrade information for each released major
version.

Cheers,
Jochen
Phil Bailey
2016-01-12 11:59:17 UTC
Hi Jochen

Thanks for coming back to me, i seem to have somehow managed to upgrade to
the latest install, issue now is my Elasticsearch Cluster in
system/overview is stating unavailable

i have checked the config and it was all working prior to the upgrade, any
thoughts about how best to troubleshoot?

Thanks
Jochen Schalanda
2016-01-12 13:00:59 UTC
Hi Phil,

if you've only upgraded Graylog to a more recent version but not
Elasticsearch (which should be ES 0.90.x according to the tutorial you've
mentioned), Graylog won't be able to connect to that Elasticsearch cluster
(the transport protocols changed in the major Elasticsearch versions).

Usually you'll find matching error messages about transport errors in the
logs of your Graylog server node(s) and the Elasticsearch node(s).

Cheers,
Jochen